PetPitcher Forum  

Go Back   PetPitcher Forum > CARNIVOROUS PLANTS > Nepenthes

Nepenthes Everything about Tropical Pitcher Plants



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 21st June 2010, 05:41 PM
kevyn chan's Avatar
kevyn chan kevyn chan is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Sat Oct 2009
Location: Tioman Islands, Pahang, Malaysia
Posts: 601
Default Re: A true gem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NepNut View Post
If you willing to sponsor then I will try again...
aiyo...half the price from the 'stocks' that you acquire la......cheap sale..
__________________
the weather is so HOT now....almost lost a few nice specimens due to negligence.....so careless http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-dance001.gif






want to view my growlist? if you can read this, then give it a click http://forum.petpitcher.com/showthread.php?t=3783
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 21st June 2010, 11:28 PM
sooxiwei's Avatar
sooxiwei sooxiwei is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Sat Dec 2008
Location: puchong, malaysia
Posts: 617
Default Re: A true gem...

sir kristoff's pictures are really stunning, will try out this nep some years later when I'm settle with life first
__________________
C Way
I'm a new newbie
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 22nd June 2010, 07:44 AM
SirKristoff SirKristoff is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Thu Mar 2009
Location: Puyallup, Washington State
Posts: 88
Default Re: A true gem...

spectabilis really is probably my favorite species, that or veitchii, i cant decide lol. but only particular forms of veitchii, but i love all spectabilis, so i think there is your answer rofl.
It really is worth the trouble to get it to grow, in my opinion. before i had a greenhouse, my north sumatra spectabilis form was in a west facing windowsill and it barely did anything (washington kinda sucks for attempting to grow plants on a windowsill) and well, it just wasnt cutting it, so i had to make room in my indoor grow rack with my other highlanders which involved buying more lights, moving tiers, rearranging plants etc, and that seemed to help...it started to grow well, and even flowered for its first time. Last year when i built my greenhouse and got my neps in it, i had never seen so much robust, healthy growth. So it really surprised me that when i moved them into the garage under fluorescent lights, that they did so well. now i hope this year in the greenhouse, with some coffee and ferts, they provide even more outstanding, lush growth.

Thanks for the great comments guys
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 22nd June 2010, 11:15 AM
kevyn chan's Avatar
kevyn chan kevyn chan is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Sat Oct 2009
Location: Tioman Islands, Pahang, Malaysia
Posts: 601
Default Re: A true gem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKristoff View Post
spectabilis really is probably my favorite species, that or veitchii, i cant decide lol. but only particular forms of veitchii, but i love all spectabilis, so i think there is your answer rofl.
It really is worth the trouble to get it to grow, in my opinion. before i had a greenhouse, my north sumatra spectabilis form was in a west facing windowsill and it barely did anything (washington kinda sucks for attempting to grow plants on a windowsill) and well, it just wasnt cutting it, so i had to make room in my indoor grow rack with my other highlanders which involved buying more lights, moving tiers, rearranging plants etc, and that seemed to help...it started to grow well, and even flowered for its first time. Last year when i built my greenhouse and got my neps in it, i had never seen so much robust, healthy growth. So it really surprised me that when i moved them into the garage under fluorescent lights, that they did so well. now i hope this year in the greenhouse, with some coffee and ferts, they provide even more outstanding, lush growth.

Thanks for the great comments guys
hmm...i read somewhere on the coffee treatment and i also asked bout it somewhere but no response received, care to share some informations?
__________________
the weather is so HOT now....almost lost a few nice specimens due to negligence.....so careless http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-dance001.gif






want to view my growlist? if you can read this, then give it a click http://forum.petpitcher.com/showthread.php?t=3783
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 22nd June 2010, 11:36 AM
SirKristoff SirKristoff is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Thu Mar 2009
Location: Puyallup, Washington State
Posts: 88
Default Re: A true gem...

sure id be happy to contribute what ive learned from my experience with it
generally, in a majority of the plants ive treated with it (just plain old black coffee cooled to room temperature then poured through the roots) the plants have produced much larger, thicker and healthier leaves, as well as all around more robust growth, i believe you would have similar results with max-sea or a few of the other orchid ferts out there, the only orchid fert ive used is Schultz Orchid Food, and it gave some nice results.
For example, my rajah was looking pretty beat up from the previous owner, wasnt growing much...gave it a coffee treatment, now its growing faster than my N. truncata, and is rate up to pace with my N. spectabilis as afar as leaf production, and its no slow poke!
i think the common problem with "slow growing" neps is that they just are not getting the nutrients they require.
So basically, plain black coffee, poured through the roots every couple of months or even every couple of weeks, should in fact, yield in some very nice growth. for a show of just how well it works, check out Doug's post (DVG) on this thread here
http://lhnn.proboards.com/index.cgi?...ay&thread=3559
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 22nd June 2010, 11:55 AM
kevyn chan's Avatar
kevyn chan kevyn chan is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Sat Oct 2009
Location: Tioman Islands, Pahang, Malaysia
Posts: 601
Default Re: A true gem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKristoff View Post
sure id be happy to contribute what ive learned from my experience with it
generally, in a majority of the plants ive treated with it (just plain old black coffee cooled to room temperature then poured through the roots) the plants have produced much larger, thicker and healthier leaves, as well as all around more robust growth, i believe you would have similar results with max-sea or a few of the other orchid ferts out there, the only orchid fert ive used is Schultz Orchid Food, and it gave some nice results.
For example, my rajah was looking pretty beat up from the previous owner, wasnt growing much...gave it a coffee treatment, now its growing faster than my N. truncata, and is rate up to pace with my N. spectabilis as afar as leaf production, and its no slow poke!
i think the common problem with "slow growing" neps is that they just are not getting the nutrients they require.
So basically, plain black coffee, poured through the roots every couple of months or even every couple of weeks, should in fact, yield in some very nice growth. for a show of just how well it works, check out Doug's post (DVG) on this thread here
http://lhnn.proboards.com/index.cgi?...ay&thread=3559
hmm, i am trying to provide organic nutrients as much as possible for my neps.....does your media smells of stale coffee? or you flush them out the day after? i've tried once on my ampullarias, 1 pot with coffee, 1 pot with tea and another pot as a 'control'. the results for the coffee and tea is about the same, and i realised that the coffee and tea treated pots had a better growth rate compared to the 'control' however, the coffee treated pot has the foulest smell.
__________________
the weather is so HOT now....almost lost a few nice specimens due to negligence.....so careless http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-dance001.gif






want to view my growlist? if you can read this, then give it a click http://forum.petpitcher.com/showthread.php?t=3783
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 22nd June 2010, 12:12 PM
SirKristoff SirKristoff is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Thu Mar 2009
Location: Puyallup, Washington State
Posts: 88
Default Re: A true gem...

I flush the pots two days after i give them the coffee to prevent any mildew or algae growth, i do not notice the coffee smell, my guess is if your media retains the smell, either your not flushing well enough, or the media is incredibly dense and not draining properly....
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 22nd June 2010, 12:19 PM
kevyn chan's Avatar
kevyn chan kevyn chan is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Sat Oct 2009
Location: Tioman Islands, Pahang, Malaysia
Posts: 601
Default Re: A true gem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKristoff View Post
I flush the pots two days after i give them the coffee to prevent any mildew or algae growth, i do not notice the coffee smell, my guess is if your media retains the smell, either your not flushing well enough, or the media is incredibly dense and not draining properly....
hmm....i think that should be my problem as the media retained much of the coffee residue i guess....then i should restart the experiment again after reading your experience here....
__________________
the weather is so HOT now....almost lost a few nice specimens due to negligence.....so careless http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-dance001.gif






want to view my growlist? if you can read this, then give it a click http://forum.petpitcher.com/showthread.php?t=3783
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 22nd June 2010, 10:07 PM
edwardyeeks's Avatar
edwardyeeks edwardyeeks is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Wed Sep 2008
Location: Rawang, Selangor
Posts: 1,350
Default Re: A true gem...

MT sells spectabilis at quite a good price. I don't think I can go with the coffee treatment yet(since my parents don't leave coffee overnight or day!) but I have seen the results on other websites and must say that it looks very convincing

Wish I could grow spectabilis, but since it's a highlander, it's a big NO-NO for me
__________________
Once bitten, twice shy. Learn to respect and love your CPs before your desire blinds your mind.

Check out my Grow-list and my Twitter page!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 22nd June 2010, 11:24 PM
kevyn chan's Avatar
kevyn chan kevyn chan is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Sat Oct 2009
Location: Tioman Islands, Pahang, Malaysia
Posts: 601
Default Re: A true gem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardyeeks View Post
MT sells spectabilis at quite a good price. I don't think I can go with the coffee treatment yet(since my parents don't leave coffee overnight or day!) but I have seen the results on other websites and must say that it looks very convincing

why should you give them stale coffee? brew a fresh pot and experiment it yourself..

Wish I could grow spectabilis, but since it's a highlander, it's a big NO-NO for me
i live by the seaside, 0.00 asl.......
__________________
the weather is so HOT now....almost lost a few nice specimens due to negligence.....so careless http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-dance001.gif






want to view my growlist? if you can read this, then give it a click http://forum.petpitcher.com/showthread.php?t=3783
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +9. The time now is 01:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Site by David Tan, Founder and Administrator of petpitcher.com and forum.petpitcher.com